The body needs a proper sleeping pattern so that it functions properly as if that is not the case many health issues will start to appear. However, some people can easily fall asleep and some cannot. The reason for that is the stress during the day and the constant worries of how things will turn out.
Not having enough sleep during the night can substantially impede in the fulfillment of the daily tasks, not to mention that you are feeling moody and cranky all the time. For that reason, many people who suffer from this issue reach for the use of sleeping pills which have only a temporary effect, and because of that you need to use them all the time which in the worst case scenario it can lead to an addiction.
Sleep deprivation can have harmful effects on both the physical and psychological health of the person. An adult person should get 7-8 hours of sleep per night, and if that is not achieved it will lead to the occurrence of many health issues and less productivity.
Dr. Johanne Blais claims that a good night sleep boosts the immunity, lowers stress, and helps the body to properly recover.
The impact of sleep deprivation
According to Professor Charles Czeisler of Harvard Medical School in the article Harvard Business Review states that a poor sleep quality substantially impacts the working performance of a person. Moreover, a 24-hour day without sleep equals to an alcohol level of 0.1% in the blood.
Potential risks of not having enough sleep are the following ones:
- Heart disease
- Low production of antibodies
- Lack of vigilance
- Mood changes
The military has an effective way to protect the body from the negative side effects of insomnia, just follow reading and find out how to easily fall asleep like the people in military.
The Military Sleep Technique
This seep technique was introduced in the military in order for the soldiers to get enough sleep so that they are fresh and in shape when entering the battlefield. In this way their alertness will be at their highest levels and as well as their vigilance.
This sleep technique was released in Bud Winter’s book “Relax and Win”.
Here it is how it goes:
Relax your body by following these steps:
- Start with releasing the muscles of your face like your jaw, tongue and the muscles around the eyes.
- Then, release your shoulders letting them to fall as far as they can, followed by your arm and forearm, but do it one side at a time.
- Now slowly inhale and exhale, and then relax your chest, thighs, legs and toes.
- Your mind needs to get free from all the negative thoughts and for that purpose you need to focus on your breathing 10 seconds and become aware of the air coming in and out of your nostrils.
Once you have achieved all that you have to set you mind to think of one of the following three things:
- Imagine you are lying in a canoe on the edge of a calm lake with only a clear blue sky above you.
- You can imagine that you are lying in a black velvet hammock in a dark room.
- For 10 seconds mentally repeat “do not think, do not think, do not think”.
These are the steps that can help you to easily fall asleep, and it shows 96% percent efficacy in people who practiced it for 6 weeks.
The key for proper sleep is to slow down your mind and prevent it go in all sorts of directions especially before going to bed.
You should try to find the method that offers you relaxation so that you can free your body and mind from all the tension. Possible solutions are practicing yoga, meditation, having a walk in nature, listening to relaxing music, reading a book, in fact anything that relaxes you.