What Happens in Your Body When You Eat the ‘Clean’ Part of a Moldy Bread

For many cultures all around the world bread is a staple food that goes with every dish. So, if the home is without bread this becomes frustrating for many people. But, if there is one leftover piece even with a mold on it we are most likely to clean it and eat the clean piece of the bread.

This habit that most of us do is because we do not want to throw away food or there is no way to get fresh bread, but this can be harmful for our health. By consuming the clean part of the bread does not mean that we are free of the intake of mold, we are still taking it which can make us sick.

What can moldy bread do to your body?

Although you have cleaned the mold from the bread there is still a great possibility of ingesting it which can make you sick instantly. Mold is not confined on a certain area of the bread, but it goes deep and infects the whole bread. Namely, the deep roots of hyphae, which are branched filaments, make up the network of fungi that can infect the whole loaf of bread.

Mold is not only present on the surface, but it develops just like the roots of trees below the surface which you cannot see with a naked eye, and thus covering a whole slice of bread which is inedible. If one piece of bread is affected with mold, then it is highly probable that the other pieces of bread are affected with mold. The mold spores of one piece of bread easily spread to other pieces of bread and in that way the whole bread is with mold which you need to throw away.

However, there are molds which can be beneficial for the body such as the Penicillium mushroom found in cheese, penicillin, and other organic and dietary materials. On the other hand, mold containing mycotoxins can cause infections in the body and turn to be very harmful for the overall health of the body.

Therefore, think twice before considering the consumption of cleaned bread from mold. Prevent being infected by any type of mold if you throw away the bread as moldy bread can be affected by many types of mold. One of the wide range of molds that can attack your bread is Rhizpusstolonifer, which is very harmful triggering a variety of health issues.

The mushroom Rhizpusstolonifer

The mushroom Rhizpusstolonifer is a filiform mold that thrives on starch or sugar. This mold uses raw food materials, most commonly bread or fruit like grapes or strawberries, which is beneficial food for their growth and reproduction. Once the mold spores are released, they produce more mycelium by germination. When the mold matures, it gets darker.

You can get infected by the fungus Rhizpusstolonifer by inhaling it. It can cause diseases like zygomycosis, and mucormycosis by which are more susceptible people with weak immunity. These diseases need further analyzing, but the fact remains that they can be very dangerous and fatal.

Mucormycosis is a respiratory or skin infection and depending how it is manifested it shows specific symptoms like in the following cases.

Symptoms of Mucormycosisasa respiratory or sinus infection:

  • Headache
  • Nasal congestion
  • Sinus pain
  • Cough
  • Fever

When the skin infection is concerned, mucormycosis can develop on any body part. It can easily develop on the site of a skin injury; however it can quickly spread to another skin area as well.

Symptoms of Mucormycosis on a Skin Area:

  • Swelling
  • Pain
  • Fever
  • Redness
  • Bulbs
  • Ulcers
  • Blackened skin tissue

Other common fungus on your bread is R. stolonifer which breaks down organic matter. If it is present in a damp environment such as a piece of bread, the parasite can rapidly spread in a few days. It will release its spores in the air which grow faster at temperatures in the range of 15 ° C to 30 ° C. These temperatures provide them with the optimal germination.

Make sure to not consume bread that has been affected by mold in order to prevent the occurrence of these infections.

If you have not been aware of the dangers of cleaned bread from mold, now you are well aware of the possible risks. Therefore, make sure to share this important information with your loved ones.

Share this post:

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *